Friday 26 April 2013

My daily paranormal dreams, and a little book review!

Hello all! 

Today's blog post is going to be a little... odd. Ever since I saw The Lord of The Rings for the first time (I might have been four or so) I've always wanted to be not me. Not that I hate myself or anything, but I dreamt of living an extraordinary life that involved fighting dragons and falling in love with vampires e.t.c.

Now I do realise how freaking ridiculous that sounds, but I don't just want the glamorous-paranormal-romance thing. I want the lets-live-an-amazing-life thing. I've always wanted to be someone, well, more than what I am. Maybe a vampire hunter, or an actual vampire, maybe a necromancer or a debunker, as long as I could live an action-packed life with all the ups and downs that come with a regular one (just cranked up to an eleven on a scale of 1-10). Because, lets face it, most of us don't really enjoy our lives, not because they suck, but because something's missing. Yes you can write a famous novel, yes you can become a movie star, yes you can move to the other side of the world to start over.
But I've always (sort of... maybe absolutely...) believed in the paranormal side of life. I know there's probably no such thing as vampires, ghosts, or people that can control the elements; but it's a freaking cool concept. Pop culture and the media has turned the whole world upside down by making vampires seem glamorous and smoking hot, by turning ghosts into beautifully scary creatures, by turning us (the consumers) into idiots. Because if those things were to exist, it certainly wouldn't be a fan-tabulous lifestyle.
It would be scary.
Really, really, scary.

But at the same time, I can't help but cling to the idea that it'd be a little better than being a plain old human - plain old Jesse. It sounds a little pathetic, but I've always wanted to live an excited life fighting vampires and all that jazz, or even being turned into one. I can't be alone with this though, right? Come on! There's got to be millions of people out there who feel the same way, millions of people that from time to time like to zone out from the real world... and just create their own. That's where writing books comes in handy, for example: A book called The Den of Shadows Quartet by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. (I KNOW IT'S JUST A BOOK, BUT I CAN DREAM!) One short novel in the book centres around a girl that writes paranormal fiction, and then her books turn into reality. However, this might be a crappy example seeing as it's all due to some mental link she has with a vampire which she's totally unaware of. Nonetheless, I don't think anything could change the thoughts in my naive mind.
Right now, being engulfed in a dangerous and amazing world full of dragons, vampires, and psychopathic ghosts is much more... enticing... invigorating... hell, it just sounds like something more than what I have. It's human nature to want what we can't have, I'm just a little too over the top about it.

*NOTE: SPOILERS FOR FALL OF NIGHT BY RACHEL CAINE*



What really inspired me to write this blogpost was just finishing (as in just finishing ten minutes ago) the fourteenth book in the Morganville Vampires series: Fall of Night.
OH.
MY.
GOSH.
I'm usually not a fan or paranormal books that focus so much on romance (however I do have a few exceptions), however Rachel Caine has done just a brilliant job. The main protagonist Claire has just left Morganville, a town run by vampires, for Cambridge so she could study at her dream school M.I.T. If you've read this series, you'll know that everything will almost always fall apart.



It started with Claire's boyfriend Shane following her to Cambridge (Trust issues. Understatement)...
Was intensified by Michael, Oliver, Jesse (a new character), and Myrnin almost dying.
Then, everything completely blew apart due to Claire's device (VLAD), and Morganville being run by the humans.
When I read a spoiler online a few weeks ago I was excited at the prospect of seeing Morganville being truly turned upside down, and finally seeing what it'd be like to have the small town run by the "weaker" species. But, oh boy, was I wrong - because let me tell you (even though the final book isn't out yet), I can already tell how much I'll hate it. Yet, of course, I'll love it at the same time due to Caine's amazing writing. While reading the last quarter of the book I was so close to crying or screaming and just completely losing it - which is extremely rare when I read a book or watch a movie. After I'd finished it four hours after I'd got it (not my personal best, but still commendable) I literally sat on my bed rocking back and fourth whimpering because of how brilliant it was.

However, I do have a few minor complaints.



1. I would've loved to see more of what went on in Morganville during Claire's time in Cambridge
2. WHY does Michael have to come so close to death in almost every book? It breaks my heart.
3. I kind of wish that Caine added a little bit more detail here and there. I felt like some bits of the book were slow and relaxed, but suddenly everything would go completely insane. I admit, I do love that when reading, but I still wanted more detail during the action-packed scenes.
4. This isn't really a complaint, but I desperately wanted the book to be longer, to go on forever and ever. I don't want to think about the series being over when Daylighters comes out. I won't be able to deal.

So, that's it I suppose. I probably won't be updating too frequently because school starts up again on Monday, but my next blog will most likely be on school *yawn*, or  little fanfiction I wrote.

~ Au Revoir! ~
P.S Vampires don't sparkle.
P.P.S I'm sorry this post ended up as a book review, but I can't promise that won't happen again.


No comments:

Post a Comment